Thursday, February 22, 2007

I'm going to learn to knit...

When the knitting craze hit about ten years ago, I wasn't moved. With the exception of some pieces from a few Japanese designers, I never liked big chunky knits, which was and still is the only kind I can somewhat do. And Yohji and Rei's asymmetrical hems and displaced sleeves/muffler were too meta-advanced to use as inspiration for the fumbling novice that I was/am. But then a few pieces from the recent fall shows have completely made me rethink my appreciation for the chunky, its wearability, and my ability to utilize it in making something for myself. Do you think my knitting circle at work will think I'm nuts when I show them the pictures from Proenza Schouler (jazz-age-inspired coat) and Diane von Furstenberg (oversized cardigan) as inspiration for project one?

Photos by Marcio Madeira from style.com.

1 comment:

D-in-Gotham said...

I know what you mean, I wanted to start knitting on the plane, but they won't really let you take sharp pointy objects on board! These are nice sweaters....